Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Conservation is key

It's been a dry year here in the South. I enjoyed the 35% humidity in July and only crept up into the 50% range in Aug. It was nice only having one or two tornado warnings chase me into the basement at work when a storm front plowed through. But it's hard to ignore the fact that really this place should be getting a lot more precipitation.

We've been trying to conserve water by forsaking our lawn, but what I didn't realize is that our new habit of unplugging minor appliances (TV, DVD player, cell phone charger) was saving water as well. Turns out power requires more water than our neighbor's 3 ton requires in baths, as outlined in this article in the Free Republic. The numbers were quite interesting to me - I honestly wasn't aware of the magnitude of the amount of water needed to keep the lights on.

No comments: